Did you know that an estimated 75-90% of all doctors visits are stress-related?
That is a whopping number, yet many of us know we have chronic stress in our lives, but recognize it as merely a norm and something that will eventually pass. And, even less recognize it as a serious health concern that turn your daily energy and vitality upside down.
When it comes to stress and emotional health, more and more recognition has been given to alternative ways to working through the challenges — essential oils being a major forerunner. Regardless, relatively little research is available on aromatherapy. While more studies are being done, many have already shown aromatherapy’s benefits. Of the current research, here are some of the findings:
- Aromatherapy can alter brain waves and behavior
- Aromatherapy can reduce the perception of stress, increase contentment, and decrease levels of cortisol, “the stress hormone.”
- Lavender essential oil has indeed been shown to reduce crying in infants and promote sleep in infants and adults
- Different aromatherapy scents bring different effects in people
- One study showed that aromatherapy massage can have some beneficial effects on anxiety and depression
- Massage with aromatherapy provides stronger and more continuous relief from fatigue —especially mental fatigue— than massage alone.
In a hurry and want your emotion-balancing essential oils? Scroll down!
Let me tell you a story…
As I awoke in the morning, I felt like I was at a crossroad. I knew that my life was taking a different turn and it was soon time to walk a different path. The thought of it all excited me at first, but then ripped at my heart and sent me on a rollercoaster of emotions — draining my energy and leaving me feeling fatigued and lost. Through all the invested years of coaching and counseling to work through life’s sticking points, never did I feel like I could “lose it” at any given moment. Why were the tools I learned not working?
I decided that it was time to follow my passion and leave what I knew, which can be scary when the unknown is like a dark hole. And even though that sense of excitement and passion ignited my heart’s fire, that fear could bring me to my knees and tears at any moment. I quit the security of my job and started a new life journey.
But this did not happen without many many mornings of tears and fears penetrating my thoughts. I just needed something to help me bridge the gap and help me alter my emotions and perceptions for long enough to create new, supportive thoughts that would help me get through my day.
Since I was a teenager, I was drawn to essential oils and enjoyed the smells of so many beautiful scents. I had lost the infatuation with them until, one day, I Google stumbled over some pure essential oils that sparked my memory of how much I enjoyed them. As I read more, I saw that many people were using them to work through many ailments, including emotional distress and fear and anxiety. I even saw that the company I was looking at made blends specific for different emotions. What the hell —it was worth a try, right?
Thank goodness I did because it was exactly what I needed to bridge my gap. Did I still have the emotions and fears and anxieties? Absolutely, but they were lessened for short periods of time — enough to allow me to create new uplifting thoughts so that, next time, the emotion did not seem to sting as hard or last as long.
How many times have you hit life’s obstacles or had emotional distress over accomplishing something that you KNEW would be healthy for you? How many times have you wished that you had something to help you bridge your gaps?
Aromatherapy is so easy and convenient, especially if you are busy and on-the-go! Here are a few of my favorite oils that have helped me in my above story and that I continue to use frequently. Even though these oils have many more benefits than emotional health, I focus on the emotional benefits below.
- Rosemary- Associated with feelings of contentment, it has been shown to have positive effects on performance, mood, and memory. It helps to reduce cortisol levels and can be a great choice for de-stressing during the day when there is still work that needs to be done.
- Lavender- Associated with feelings of contentment, improved cognitive performance and mood, it also has been connected to other mild sedative and calming effects. It helps to reduce cortisol, can soothe babies and new mothers, and can promote positive mother-infant interactions. Lavender is a go-to for helping to promote sleep or general relaxation which makes it helpful on days that you feel overwhelmed and overstimulated.
- Peppermint- Associated with increasing memory and alertness, peppermint is a great pick-me up for tired, busy people, stressed out students, or when you just don’t feel like going to the gym or being active.
- Ylang-Ylang- Associated with reducing stress, making it a good option for unwinding and de-stressing. But use this at the end of the day because it can also decrease alertness, lengthen processing speed, and impair the memory.
- Lemon- Associated with antidepressant effects, it is a great choice for stress relief and mood enhancement.
Want more oils for SPECIFIC emotional challenges? Check out this in website!
How to use the oils
When using the oils for emotional balancing, these are my 3 favorite methods. Click the picture below to watch the short video!
You can also apply them topically to your pulse point, under your nose, on the soles of your feet, and even on your stomach. Simply add 1-2 drops of oil into a tsp of carrier oil and rub onto the skin.
Essential oils are easy to use and are being shown over and over to be effective in balancing emotions and decreasing stress. They may just be the tool that you were missing!
Are you tired of feeling stressed out and overwhelmed as soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning?
Do you like what you read?
If so, then get yourself over to http://www.tansyrodgers.com . Dive in but make sure that you sign up for my free tribe! That’s how you receive my newsletters to your inbox and get to hear first hand about deals, news, and exciting new events that I only share with my tribe!