If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
I have said it before and I will say it again and I’m sure that you will hear it many more times. I’m such an adamant believer that creating a plan to complete anything you are setting forth on is absolutely essential for success. It is like a little roadmap for every new venture in your life. And, it is like a little roadmap to get shit done.
Write a plan.
This is step #7 on how to create self confidence in your workouts through holistic health practices. Sound so easy, but yet it can be so challenging to do. Why do you think that is? If your goal is to get to the gym 5 days a week, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to write down a plan onto paper of how you are going to set up your gym week.
But, it does take a special something to write the plan and then follow through. That is where the focus should be. That is where the true magic lies.
So, how do you create a plan that will hit your target?
- State a very concrete goal that has measurable objectives. If you want to lose weight, refrain from making your goal “lose weight.” Instead, say how much you want to lose and by when. So, a better concrete goal would be “I want to lose 20 pounds by July 15, 2017.” You want to have real specifics to get really specific!
- Write down how you will accomplish that concrete goal. What exactly will you do in order to make yourself successful? If you’re trying to lose 20 pounds, then two ways to implement that would be to not eat 2 to 3 hours before going to bed and packing your lunches so that you can have a healthy meal you are in control of. I would start with 2 to 3 action steps to implement and become incredibly good at those 2 to 3 steps. Then, as you master them, add another one or two on.
- Create a list of “what ifs.” This list is for when life gets in the way. Because it’s going to happen! You need to be prepared for things that may go wrong so that you have an alternative plan to fall back on. If you’re trying to lose 20 pounds but you overslept and you do not have time to pack your lunch, what is going to be your backup plan? Maybe it is having healthy snacks at work so that you can munch on them when you are stuck without a healthy lunch or maybe you have a local restaurant where you can get a very healthy salad as a back up plan.
- List out your self-sabotagers. Most people fail on their plans because they do not take into account their own self sabotaging behaviors. We all have them! What are your common go to behaviors when you don’t feel like sticking to a goal? Or, what are your fears and what does that little negative voice inside of you tell you when the going gets rough? If you were trying to lose 20 pounds, one of your self-sabotagers may be that after a stressful day, you come home and park yourself in front of the refrigerator, eating everything in sight. Or maybe, that little voice inside of you says that you really can’t lose weight because everybody in your family is “big boned” and that is just how you are made. Getting to the bottom of your self-sabotagers is absolutely crucial for you to have success!
- Have a support network. Having support to keep you motivated to stay on track or to help guide you when you hit a sticking point can be exactly what you need. It doesn’t have to be close intimate friends. It can be local groups, online support, or even a pet! If you don’t have someone right by your side, get creative and create your own inner circle.
- Create a list of ways to celebrate. It is so important to celebrate the wins in life. Focusing on the “what ifs” is important, but celebrating the wins is even better. I mean, what else are you doing it for? You can celebrate anyway you choose, but, I do suggest, that if your goal is weight or food related, do not reward yourself with food. That could set you up for a negative association with food and a whole other problem.
Making a plan and getting set up for success goes way beyond figuring out what you are going to do. You need to dig deep and get super real with yourself if you want your goals and plans to become sticky and take hold!
Take action now! What is the one burning goal that you want to achieve? What is that one thing that you would love to achieve and/or you have a really tough time actually doing it? Start there first! Go grab your pen and paper and get started. There is no time like the present. Now, share my “Shout And Share” with all your friends to help get them set up for success in their new habit!
Go to the comment section. Make a comment and let me know what you have struggled with, what you have tried, and what your action plan is. The best discussions start between like-minded friends! Share this with your friends and get more people in on the action.
Do you want to learn more? This was a just a snippet into how you can apply this to your own life. If you are craving more and need to make a change in your life right now (or even if you are scared and don’t know what to do), I am here to guide you in the right direction. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about what you can do to get you from where you are now to where you always dreamed you wanted to be!
Did you like what you read? If so, then get yourself over to http://www.tansyrodgers.com and sign up to be part of my beU complete tribe. That’s how you receive my newsletters to your inbox and get to hear first hand about deals, news, and exciting new events that I only share with my tribe!