Have you ever woke up in the middle of a deep dream with a smile on your face and a peaceful happiness that you are curled up under the warm covers? You roll over and think, “Hmm, I don’t remember the alarm going off.” You look at the clock at realize it is 7:30 am. Your alarm was supposed to buzz at 6:30 am! Panic sets into you as you fly out of bed and scramble to get your morning routine underway. The kids need to get ready for school. The dogs need to be feed and let outside. You need to shower and get ready for work. All you can think about is that you will never be on time for work and still get everything done that you need to get done. How many times has this happened to you before? At least once in your life, I am sure. In the midst of panic, stopping to have a nourishing breakfast to start your day off right is probably the last thing that you are thinking about. Have you had the conversation with yourself that goes something like, “I will skip breakfast and have a snack later.” It doesn’t have to be that way- even when you are running out the door while putting your jewelry on and pulling a brush through your tangled hair!
We all know that breakfast is a super important meal of the day. That fact has been repeated over and over and over again. But, in case you have been living under a rock for the last few decades, let me briefly explain why breakfast is just so damn important:
- It “breaks” the “fast” from the night before and gives the body nutrients to supply the body with energy for the day.
- It stabilizes your blood sugar levels and can help to balance and prevent type 2 diabetes.
- It can help you lose weight by balancing your hormones, decreasing your stress levels, and stabilizing your blood sugar levels so that you are not a ravenous monster later on in the day. Hint Hint- Breakfast eaters have been shown to eat less the rest of the day!
- It might enhance memory, attention, the speed of processing information, reasoning, creativity, learning, and verbal abilities. Why? All about stabilizing glucose levels through a balanced breakfast.
- It will decrease your likeliness to quickly enter “bitch mode” with your coworkers and/or customers by staving off the “hangeries” (aka anger produced by being hungry).
- It can protect your gut lining when drinking coffee in the morning. Coffee is rough on your gut-lining and when you are drinking coffee without food, not only will your cortisol levels spike without something to help balance them out, but your gut-lining may have havoc wrecked on it too.
Beyond Your Cup Of Coffee…
So, what are some quick, simple, complete, nutritious breakfast ideas to get you out the door fast? Here are 5 breakfast options that you can prepare in 5 minutes or less.
- Fruit/Green Smoothie: Smoothies are so versatile and you can add so many delicious foods into it to make it a complete meal. For a quick version, put 8 oz of coconut or almond milk and 8 oz of water in a blender. Add a scoop of high-quality protein powder, a piece (or handful) of your favorite fruit, a handful of spinach, 1-2 tbsp of chia seeds, 5-6 ice cubes and blend that baby up. Add a bit of stevia if needed. Bonus additives? 1-2 tsp of green powder and 1-2 tsp of maca powder. Put it in a shaker cup or secure mug and enjoy on your car ride.
- Banana and nut butter sprinkled with chia seeds: Banana and nut butter makes me feel like a kid again! Grab a to-go container with a lid. Cut up the banana (or mash it) and put a liberal amount of nut butter on top. Sprinkle it with chia seeds to give you straight up energy. Snap the lid on and get rolling.
- Skinny Wrap: Grab a sprouted grain wrap (heat if you have time) and put a handful of salad greens, feta cheese, and a spread (pesto, hummus, etc) on the wrap. Really, you can put whatever you want inside it. Roll it and run.
- Sprouted grain bread with coconut oil, cinnamon, and nut butter: Coconut oil is so good for energy and holding you over until your next snack. Cinnamon is fabulous for controlling sugar cravings. Grab a piece or two of sprouted grain bread and cover it in coconut oil. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and then top that off with a spread of nut butter. Make a sandwich if it fits your fancy.
- Organic, grass-fed yogurt with almonds and granola: Nothing screams fast like a cup of yogurt! Stick with high-quality yogurt like organic grass-fed, almond, or coconut yogurt. Pop the top, eat a spoonful, and then add in granola and almonds to fill it back up. Pop the lid back on and out the door you go.
Tip from the pros- Make your breakfast the night before! Set yourself up for success with this one little habit change.
Take action now! Print these recipes out and hang them on your refrigerator. Easy access to breakfast ideas when the unexpected rush happens will make you more successful. If you don’t have any of these ingredients, pick some of them up on your very next shopping trip so that they are available when you need them. If you fail to prepare, you will fail to succeed. Now, share my “Shout And Share” with all your friends to help get them set up for success in their new habits!
Go to the comment section. Make a comment and let me know what you have struggled with, what you have tried, and what your action plan is. The best discussions start between like-minded friends! Share this with your friends and get more people in on the action.
Did you like what you read? If so, then get yourself over to http://www.tansyrodgers.com and sign up for my FREE newsletter. That’s how you receive my newsletters to your inbox and get to hear first hand about deals, news, and exciting new events that I only share with my newsletter subscribers!