In this time of our existence, more and more people are gravitating towards healing aches and pains and ramping up health by applying alternative medicine practices. Every day there seems to be a new approach to healing the mind and the body through the latest and most popular method at any given point in time. Now, I love alternative medicines and I believe that the body, mind, and spirit can be healed naturally and completely when applying the right practices, many times. But, how do you know what the right practices are for you and your situation at that point in time. By learning and being educated, of course! Because there are so many awesome practices out there, I am dedicating a block of my blogging weeks to educating on specific areas of various alternative medicines that you can easily apply in your everyday life.
I want to start off this series by paying respect and bringing attention to essential oils. Essential oils, when picking the correct ones for your ailment(s), can be life changing and provide immediate healing properties! Some of the ways that essential oils can be used are to:
- increase energy
- heal skin and acne
- improve digestion
- balance emotions, including depression and anxiety
- decrease muscle pains and joint aches
- increase mental alertness
- improve spiritual connection
- wound care
I picked my 5 favorite essential oils that I depend on to heal my 5 most common ailments and obstacles. First, let’s dive in to what essential oils are and how you use them—
What are essential oils?
Essential oil liquid is different from a perfume or fragrance oil. Essential oils are generally distilled (most frequently by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils contain the true essence of the plant it was derived from and they are highly concentrated, meaning they go a long way and (often) need to be diluted as to not harm the skin. Essential oils are not chemical-based, unlike perfumes and fragrance oils, and are naturally derived.
How do you use essential oils?
They are so versatile and easy to use anywhere, even when you are on the go. You can use them topically, as inhalants, by diffusing in the air, in your bath water, in your toiletries, with a massage, and the list goes on and on. Check out this website from the University Of Minnesota to get more in depth basic knowledge of how to safely begin using essential oils right now —
My 5 favorite essential oils broken down by ailments (in no particular order)
- Lack of energy and sore muscles: Peppermint. This oil gives a cooling sensation and has a calming effect on the body which can relieve sore muscles when used topically.It also helps to ease indigestion, cramps,reduces stomach aches, freshens breath, relieves headaches, has antimicrobial properties, improves mental focus, clears the respiratory tract, boosts energy, releases tight muscles, and it a super cost-effective solution to replace pharmaceutical drugs. Everyone should have this in their medicine cabinet!
- Mental fatigue: Lemon. Research shows that people who used lemon oil were able to decrease anxiety, improve their mood, and prevent emotional outbursts and violent behavior. The scent also helps with normalizing hormone levels, fighting respiratory infections, supporting immune function, inhibiting inflammation, soothing acidity and heartburn, improving digestion, reliving arthritis, lowering blood pressure and promoting healthy blood circulation, detoxifying your skin and body, improving acne and poor hair conditions, reducing broken capillaries and varicose veins, and sanitizing anything and everything. It is a wonderful antibacterial!
- Motion sickness: Ginger. Ginger teas and candies work, but smelling the essential oil also eases queasiness. It also helps to relieve constipation and bloating by smoothing the gut lining and allowing food to move a little more freely. Ginger helps with fighting strokes and heart disease, improving immune and respiratory function, bacterial infections, fungal infections, GERD, ulcers, pain, and inflammation. It also helps to fight cancer by increasing the immune system!
- Increased Stress: Lavender. I love lavender! Whenever I am feeling stressed or over-anxious, lavender is my first stop on the road to healing. It also improves sleep, heals wounds and burns, restores skin complexion and reduces acne, slows aging with powerful antioxidants, alleviates headaches, improves eczema and psoriasis, and balances blood sugar. It is a heal-all and a must have, in my book.
- Outbreak of acne: Tea Tree. Also known as melaleuca, it has healing antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Look at all the incredible uses it is good for— bacterial infections, chickenpox, cold sores, congestion/respiratory tract infections, earaches, fungal infections, halitosis, head lice, MRSA, psoriasis, dry cuticles, bug bites, sunburn, and staph infections. What can you make? Anti-microbial laundry freshener, insect repellent, natural deodorant, acne face wash, foot odor powder, mold remover, and household cleaner (to name a few.).
- Unfocused and poor memory: Rosemary. Rosemary is a super antioxidant, but it also has anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties. Rosemary helps to improve the condition of your memory and helps you to focus more intently so that you can increase your productivity. What are some other incredible benefits? It helps with hair growth, so add it to your shampoo and conditioner. It helps relieve aches and pain and improves digestion. It also help liver detoxification and lowers cortisol levels. Bonus – it smells incredible!
What is my favorite all natural essential oil concoction (other than adding oils into my store-bought toiletries)? This recipe is found in the book “Natural Health” by Nerys Purchon and it has greatly improved my odor during some of my toughest workouts.
1/3 cup distilled witch hazel
1 teaspoon glycerine
30 drops clary sage essential oil (e.o.)
20 drops rosemary e.o.
10 drops thyme e.o.
10 drops tea tree e.o.
5 drops sandalwood e.o.
~Blend all the ingredients in a 3.5-4 oz bottle. Shake well to mix and leave sit for four days to synergize before using. Shake before each use.
“(Essential) Oil me up, baby!”
~Tansy N. Rodgers/beU Complete
Take action now! Decide which one or two of your most concerning ailments need attention and what essential oils will help you to heal and rebuild. Is one of your ailments one that I experience? Then pick that essential oil and check out “How do I choose and use essential oils?” to see how you can effectively integrate them into your life. Heal naturally first with these incredible oils that have stood the test of time in their healing abilities!
Go to the comment section. Make a comment and let me know what you have struggled with, what you have tried, and what your action plan is. The best discussions start between like-minded friends! Share this with your friends and get more people in on the action.
Do you currently have essential oils that you swear by? If so, I want to hear all about it! Live your life with passion and purpose…
Did you like what you read? If so, then get yourself over to http://www.tansyrodgers.com and sign up for my FREE newsletter. That’s how you receive my newsletters to your inbox and get to hear first hand about deals, news, and exciting new events that I only share with my newsletter subscribers!